Proposition for Change for Equitable Outcomes for Surgeons (Female)
It’s hard to get trained up as a woman with a scalpel: ‘You would expect women to flourish in medicine. Since 1996, women have outnumbered men in Australian medical schools. More than half of general practice trainees, two out of three paediatric trainees, and close to three in four obstetricians in training are women. Look at surgical training and this pattern stops: fewer than one in three surgical trainees are women, and the numbers fall further as doctors reach advanced training. ‘Nine percent of surgeons in Australia are women.’ http://theconversation.com/yes-sexism-is-rife-in-surgery-and-its-time-to-do-something-about-it-38715 Women have as much right to cut someone open for the common good as a man does. Men are very attached to notions associated with Playing Or Being God. They’re not going to give up their prestigious monopolies without a fight. They will however pretend there is not a fight going on. There is. Bringing the disappointing levels of discrimination within The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, to public attention is a first step. Fear not wanton Female Surgeons: here is a proposed solution to more rapidly change outcomes for career advancement. Talent will prevail, not gender. The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons is holding you back. Establishments do that to women. The Institution limiting your advancement has ROYAL within the title. The top Royal IS A WOMAN. This is the point of attack.
- Set up your own Surgery Shop. Waiting lists for surgery in Australia are long, there’s demand.
- Write a brief and succinct letter to the Queen explaining that there’s another group of old grey haired assholes limiting your potential. They’ve got the gall to associate your good name Queen Elizabeth, and all that it represents to act out a great injustice. Say: “Queen Elizabeth, you don’t want to have another group of men bringing sexism and Royal into the same sentence. You’ve already got Prince Phillip for that.”
- Rebrand your Surgery Shop ‘YOUR ROYAL HIGHNESS’ COLLEGE OF SURGEONS’. Or The Queen’s College of Surgeon’s, or Her Majesty the Queen’s College of Surgeon’s. Morgan said the Royal College of Surgical Sheila’s and laughed himself stupid. So immature.
- Head hunt all the Trained Female Surgeons to train everyone else who the poor frightened men have been holding back. You’ll need backers, but it’s a worthy cause, philanthropists will be throwing themselves at you. The Government not so much. Crowd Funding is also a possibility if the benefactors are reluctant to get too political.
- Open for Business. Perform the Surgery you have every right to Perform.
Please note. Now that patients are ‘Clients’, the population of Australia will definitely vote with their custom. It stands to reason that women are better surgeons than men. What with the fine motor skills that have been passed down from mother to daughter for eternity. From the times since women weren’t allowed to go out and had to do needlecraft by fireplaces for kicks. Dressmaking and an innate understanding of 3D forms also share crossover skills with surgery, nimble, lithe fingers and an eye for detail. Are men entrusted with the making of lace for the Bridal frocks for Royal Wedding’s? No they’re not. The skill is too fine for their sausage fingers. The use of the media is imperative as the Government is failing to meet the needs of women across all sectors of society. The Government takes it’s cues from the media more than the electorate. I’m not going to waste everyone’s time going through the why’s, where’s and what for’s of sexism within our hospitals is alive and stretching it’s fingers towards whatever it feels like copping a feel of. I’ll leave that for the fellows to do. It’s part of a stalling technique used to drag out action for change for the advancement of women. The statements and the inquiries and the blah de blah stuff are so important they can’t be rushed. Yawn. That’s the step you’re presently stalled out at. The last thing the public needs is a stressed out surgeon performing your procedure while living with frustration and bad office juju. We want an Operating Environment where the Surgeon is feeling positive, confident and well supported by their team of colleagues. Don’t be surprised if the Expert Advisory Committee into bullying and harassment is made up of a majority of men. Tony “Head of Women’s Affairs” Abbott won’t help at all. He’s got another job pretending to be the Prime Minister. Recently retired Army Chief David Morrison is the only man to work with. He understands the importance of treating the insides of people with respect. In a speech last year to a 4 day Global Summit to End Sexual Violence he said: ‘I’m no sociologist, I have no anthropological training, but I’m certain of this … we live in a world where the squandering of women’s talent, the traducing of their potential, is a global disgrace.’ If the Queen won’t wade in and sign off your new group, ask the Pope. Same actions.
I HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP COMRADES,
Love and best wishes, nattysolo.com
When surgical tools get left behind